Weil-McLain is a leading designer, manufacturer and marketer of heating and cooling equipment for residential, commercial and institutional buildings. Due to the company's growth we are looking for a HVAC Test Technician / Engineer to join our team at our facility in Michigan City, IN.
Some of the benefits of this exceptional opportunity are:
- Stability – Since being founded by Isadora and Benjamin Weil over 130 years ago in Chicago, Weil-McLain has grown to be the largest U.S. manufacturer of cast iron boilers and a leader in the electric heating and hydronic industies. Today, Weil-McLain has a global presence with approximately 700 employees.
- Career Growth – The person in this role will be the subject matter expert and with that comes a great advancement opportunities. Weil-McLain is also willing to train this person to broaden their skillset and make them an even more valuable asset to the company. At the same time, the person in this role will have a lot of autonomy to make decisions.
- Compensation and Benefits – Weil-McLain provides you with a competitive compensation package and a fantastic benefits program.
Assists in design, testing and development of products and components (Unsupervised). Fabricate assemblies and components and set up test assemblies and prototypes (Unsupervised) and perform general lab operations. Take responsibility for maintenance, care and calibration of laboratory instrumentation. Utilize testing agency standards for test setup and conduct of certification test. Reports to Chief Engineer for ‘what’ test to run, what Lab work is to be done and the ‘work priorities’. Reports to Lab Supervisor for ‘how’ to do test, Lab work and other non-team work.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS)
- Assist in design, testing and development projects. This will include independent work on specific development tasks as assigned by the Director of Product Engineering.
- Apply established safety procedures in handling and usage of fuels, electrical connections, power tools and equipment.
- Maintain good housekeeping practices in laboratory facilities, including maintenance of clean conditions and provision for safe access throughout the laboratory and to equipment and test setups. Inspect the laboratory for the safety and integrity of fuel and electrical systems and equipment. Assure that the laboratory is safety operated and shut down.
- Apply proper procedures in the handling, care and maintenance of laboratory instrumentation. Set up, instrumentation.
- Set up test assemblies in accordance with requirements of appropriate testing standards, including CGA and UL. Set up special test assemblies as prescribed by Engineer. Set up tests as needed for independent development work.
- Conduct tests and record data. (ANSI Z21.13a-2005 CSA 4.9a-2005 / ISO/IEC 17025)
- Fabricate, apply and verify operation of thermocouples and thermocouple assemblies. Wire test assemblies and prototypes utilizing wiring diagrams and instructions provided by Engineers. Learn the control functions of our products.
- Erect and assemble boilers, prototypes and test assemblies from drawings, instruction manuals and instructions from engineer or from performance requirements provided by Engineer. This will entail some experimental testing work to determine the necessary configuration.
- Utilize sheet metal equipment, welding and soldering equipment to fabricate components and assemblies for prototypes and tests as prescribed by Engineer or as dictated by independent experimental work.
- Utilize power tools and machine shop equipment for fabrication and/or modifications of components and assemblies for prototypes as prescribed by Engineer or as needed for independent development work.
- Perform miscellaneous duties as required.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- 3-5 years of HVAC and/or boiler installation experience
KNOWLEDGE and CERTIFICATION:
- High school diploma or GED is required
- Associate Degree in Mechanical Engineering Technology or Equivalent Experience
- Demonstrates strong organization skills, including following up on his/her own needed action.
- Demonstrates strong written, verbal, and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrates the knowledge of combustion analysis.
- Demonstrates the skills to fabricate assemblies, components and prototypes.
- Demonstrate the skills to use test agency standards for test setups and conducting certification test.
- Demonstrate the skills to design, test and development of products and components.
- Demonstrates the skills to perform calibration and certification of test instruments.
- Demonstrates teamwork abilities, as well as persistence when dealing with problems.
- Demonstrates ability to conduct test using CSA agency Standards.
- Demonstrates knowledge of mechanical Engineering techniques.
- Demonstrates basic computer knowledge.
- Demonstrates knowledge of operation of welding equipment.
Perform light physical labor
Wear appropriate safety equipment
Normal office working environment.
R&D – Machine shop
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by people assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Weil-McLain is an Equal opportunity Employer