Columbus McKinnon Corp. is a leading worldwide designer, manufacturer, and marketer of material handling systems and services, which efficiently and ergonomically move, lift, position, or secure material. Key products include hoists, actuators, cranes, and lifting and rigging tools. Because of continued growth we are looking for an experienced Production Assembly Manager to join our world-class research and engineering team at our state-of-the-art facility in Damascus, VA. Partial relocation assistance may be available for well qualified candidates.
Some of the benefits of this exceptional opportunity are:
- Career Growth – Columbus McKinnon Corp. has a rich 135-year tradition and is focused on commercial and industrial applications that require the safety and quality provided by its superior design and know-how. You will be working side by side with world-class engineers, researchers and industry experts on cutting edge material handling systems. This is a chance to join and grow with a company that has a mission to be “The global leader in providing products and applications knowledge to help customers lift, position or secure materials easily and safely”.
- Stability – You benefit from being part of a respected and well established company. Columbus McKinnon Corp.’s products and services are known for their quality and are available worldwide. With current projects in South America, Europe and China, they are looking to further expand their international presence.
- Compensation - Columbus McKinnon Corp. offers competitive compensation, bonus potential based on total corporate performance and benefits including medical, dental, vision and a robust 401K.
SUMMARY: Directs and coordinates activities concerned with production of company product(s) by performing the following duties personally or through subordinate supervisors.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Ensures a safe and productive work environment for all employees.
- Sustains and continually improves the Quality Management System.
- Sustains and continually improves the CMCO Lean Business System.
- Plans and directs production activities and establishes production priorities for products in keeping with effective operations and cost factors.
- Develops the departmental budget HC, hours worked, OT, and expenses and implements cost controls to meet or exceed the targets. Ensures the Key Process Indicators that relate to obtaining the goals are in place, have targets, and are met.
- Maintains Value Stream Maps for all Product flows. Directs key actions to address the largest opportunities.
- Coordinates production activities with procurement, maintenance, and quality control activities to obtain optimum production and utilization of human resources, machines, and equipment.
- Reviews and analyzes production, maintenance, and operational reports to determine causes of nonconformity with product specifications and operating or production problems.
- Revises production schedules and priorities through the Materials Team when needed as result of equipment failure or other operating problems.
- Consults with engineering personnel relative to modification of machines and equipment in order to improve production and quality of products.
- Conducts hearings to resolve or effect settlement of grievances and refers unresolved grievances for management union negotiations.
- Compiles, stores, and retrieves production data.
- Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES: Manages subordinate supervisors who supervise a total of employees in the Assembly departments. Is responsible for the overall direction, coordination, and evaluation of this unit.
Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with the organization’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing and training employees; planning, assigning and directing work; appraising performance; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
QUALIFICATION REQUIREMENTS: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
EDUCATION and/or EXPERIENCE: Bachelor’s degree from four-year college or university; or four to six years related experience and/or equivalent combination of education and experience; and/or relevant engineering education and experience.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports and business correspondence. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
MATHEMATICAL SKILLS: Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
REASONING ABILITY: Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Ability to interpret an extensive variety of technical instructions in mathematical or diagram form.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS: None
OTHER SKILLS and ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of assembly and manufacturing operations.
- 5 or more years related experience in a manufacturing environment
- Working knowledge of Continuous Improvement tools
- Strong understanding of all phases of project management, including initiating, planning, executing, controlling, and closing.
- Excellent personal time management skills, with ability to manage multiple priorities with possible conflicting deadlines.
- Working knowledge of Statistical Process Control
- Knowledge of manufacturing techniques.
- Proficiency with Microsoft software applications
Proficient in the use of analytical tools and techniques to analyze data, train others and participate in teams to find solutions to problems
PHYSICAL DEMANDS: While performing the duties of this job, the employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel objects, tools, or controls; and reach with hands and arms.
The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus
WORK ENVIRONMENT: While performing the duties of this job, the employee frequently works near moving mechanical parts. The employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
If you are interested in applying for this position, please send your resume along with the responses to the following questions to: email@example.com.
1. What are the keys to success in an assembly manufacturing environment
2. What does lean manufacturing mean to you? And can you provide an example of a lean project that you have implemented?
3. How do you apply standard work to a high mix environment?
4. When a production employee fails to meet the desired output for the day what do you do? Can you provide an example of when you have responded to a production employee failing to achieve the standard output for the day?
5. Please describe a time in your career when you worked with complex engineered products in a high mix environment? Explain using overall SKU count and complexity in the BOM’s.
6. What are the five best measures of success for a manufacturing operation?
Columbus McKinnon Corp. is an Equal Opportunity Employer